The European Hydrogen Backbone initiative today presented an updated version of its vision for the development of a dedicated hydrogen transportation network across Europe. The consortium envisions a 39,700 km hydrogen network connecting 21 European countries by 2040, with further growth expected beyond that date.
With nearly 40,000 km, the planned Dorsal by 2040 requires a total investment cost estimated between 43 euros and 81 billion euros. Hydrogen transport over 1,000 km is estimated to cost between 0.11€ and 0.21€ per kg of hydrogen on average, making the EHB a cost-minimizing solution for long-distance hydrogen transport.
This huge hydrogen backbone will be used to transport hydrogen across Europe. Those in charge of this huge project have confirmed that a dozen gas transmission network operators will indeed make available out-of-use pipelines, to convert them to transport hydrogen across Europe : “69% of the proposed hydrogen pipelines consist of reconverted existing gas infrastructure. The remaining 31% are new pipelines, required to connect new consumers, and are located in countries with limited existing gas networks (…),” says the Hydrogen Europe press release.
This cross-border hydrogen transport network meets the objective of carbon neutrality for Europe and France by 2050.
– A first corridor to Germany could emerge by 2035, passing through Spain and France. It would convert an existing pipeline in Larrau. This route would connect hydrogen demand clusters in northern Europe with supply sources in the Iberian Peninsula and even North Africa.
– By 2040, two additional interconnections between Spain and France, near Irun/Biriatou and in Catalonia, will enhance security of supply and flexibility through the expected large flows of hydrogen from Spain, and potentially North Africa, to the rest of Europe.
– An additional 4,400 km of hydrogen networks will be developed in France connecting the main consumption areas such as ports, industrial zones, logistics hubs and airports as well as massive underground storage facilities. This infrastructure will allow national consumers to access renewable and low-carbon hydrogen in a safe and competitive way.
– Germany and Norway are considering the construction of a hydrogen pipeline that would reduce Europe’s dependence on Russian energy supplies. The two partner nations will soon conduct a feasibility study for the project, which will bring green hydrogen from Norway to Germany. “In the coming months and years, the development of alternative energy sources in Europe will be crucial to replace Russian gas and oil. We need to create the necessary infrastructure today to achieve this goal,” Norwegian and German authorities said recently.
Gas operators Teréga and Enagás, renewable hydrogen producer DH2 and energy company GazelEnergie signed a memorandum of understanding in April 2021 to develop the Franco-Spanish Lacq Hydrogen project.
This project also includes the participation of gas infrastructure operators such as :
– Gasgrid Finland
– Fluxys Belgium
– Nordion Energi
– GRT gas
– Fluxys Belgium
– Energinet and several other infrastructures operating in nine member states are taking part in the Hydrogen Dorsal project.
This project is an opportunity for many companies to take part and prosper in this sector. If you are also interested in getting involved in this sector and receiving advice, please contact us.